Saturday, August 28, 2010

Day Eleven - Delightful Dijon

La Chouette
I arrived in Dijon on the 23rd, after a perilous day's journey (as outlined previously). It's been fantastic to re-discover this little town after four years, and it really is a wonderful place.

Dijon is the capital of the region of Burgundy, has just over 150,000 inhabitants and is famous for its mustard; as well as for the small stone owl (La Chouette) carved into the wall in one of the town's streets, which, when touched with the left hand, will bring you good luck. More fun facts can be found on Wikipedia.

The past few days here have been great, and have mainly consisted of relaxation and songwriting. Today, however, the weather permitted me to head down to the markets and play for a few hours.

Street where I played to a very generous market crowd
The atmosphere was fantastic, and the people very friendly. For those who purchased a CD today: un grand merci :) but otherwise the money dropped in my guitar case over the two hours will be more than enough to last me for the next week of my travels, where I head to Lyon, a town further South.

It's bizarre to be writing in English, as I've found myself slipping back entirely into French thoughts - which has been wonderful :)

Tomorrow is La FĂȘte de la Vigne, a festival in the heart of Dijon, during which I will be able to enjoy musical groups invited from all proverbial corners of the globe. Should be a stack of fun.

Tomorrow afternoon I take the TGV to Lyon, where more adventure surely awaits :)

No comments:

Post a Comment